Thursday, January 26, 2012

No-Bake Cereal Bars



I have made these no bake cereal bars for quite a while now. They are SO GOOD but I want to WARN you...be sure to make them when you can share with someone!!

Joel needed a treat for Cub Scouts so I decided to make these. I had seen a recipe a long time ago that used Cheerios instead of the Rice Krispies, so I decided to try that this time. Cheerios weren't bad but having them made with Rice Krispies is definitely our favorite!!

1 c. light corn syrup
1 c. sugar
2 t. vanilla
1 c. peanut butter
6 c. Rice Krispies (or Cheerios...I've also used corn flakes)
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1 c. butterscotch chips

Spray a 9x13 pan (for thicker bars) OR a jelly roll pan (for thinner bars) with cooking spray.

Mix sugar and syrup in a large pot/dutch oven and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and vanilla until smooth. Mix in the cereal. Pour mixture into the sprayed pan. Press into pan until even (I usually do this by spraying the back of a large spatula and start pressing from the middle out to the edges.).

Melt butterscotch and chocolate chips together--you can do this on the stove top over low heat or in the microwave. Just be very careful not to burn! Frost the bars.

ENJOY!!!

2 comments: