Saturday, September 18, 2010

Apple Pie Kits

Here is a great tip that some of you may find helpful when you're able to get some great deals on apples.

When I can get apples really cheap, I prep them for apple pies, apple crisp, etc. and freeze them. That way, when I need to make a dessert, I just pull one of these bags out, thaw it a little bit and throw it in my dessert. Super easy!!

4 large apples (peeled, cored, sliced)
3/4 c. sugar
2 T. flour
1 t. cinnamon
2 T. butter, cut into small pieces

In a freezer bag, combine all of the above ingredients. Seal the bag and then mix together with your hands.

Freeze until needed!!

2 comments:

  1. Shelly,

    How long can you keep the prepared apple in the freezer?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Toni!

    In the research I've done they can be frozen this way for a year. I had mine in the freezer for about 8 months and they tasted fine...no freezer burn or anything. From what I understand the sugar, etc. protects the apples.

    ReplyDelete