Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Corned Beef & Veggies

So Tim happened to notice that Corned Beef Brisket was on sale in the Meijer ad. He requested that I make a Jigg's Dinner...I really didn't know what that required exactly. I had an idea...but have never ate or made it before, nor I have I ever bought corned beef. I bought the meat and then went on a recipe hunt to see what other people did. I came across a lot of different ideas. I just decided to go simple and went with what I found here.

You will need a large crockpot. I used a 5 quart crockpot and it was FULL!!! The lid wouldn't even fit on right until the cabbage cooked down a little bit.

You will need:
Corned Beef Brisket (I bought one that was low sodium)
Red Potatoes (I used 7)
Baby Carrots (I used about 1/2#)
Cabbage (I used whole head)
Salt & Pepper
Water

Place the corned beef in the bottom of the crockpot. Sprinkle the seasoning packet (that came with the meat) over the meat. Cover with water (I used about 3 1/2 c.). Then add red potatoes (I put them in whole w/ skins), carrots and cabbage (chopped) on top. Then I sprinkled salt & pepper over the top.

I cooked on high for about 5 hours and then turned it to low for the remaining amount of time (about 3 1/2 hours). I thought it was perfect!

I was pleasantly surprised and it was delicious! The kids didn't seem to mind it either (as long as we didn't make them eat the cabbage!).

ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment