Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Mexican Shepherd's Pie



I get emails from Betty Crocker on a regular basis with new recipe ideas. This recipe is one that stuck out to me. The picture looked tasty and then as I read the ingredients I realized I had most everything to make it. My kids even thought it sounded good so I gave it a whirl! You can find the original recipe here. I made some alterations so that it wasn't too spicy for my kids.

You will need:
1# of ground beef
sweet onion, chopped
1 c. salsa (thick & chunky would probably work better than my homemade salsa)
1 bag of frozen corn, cooked & drained
1 box of Betty Crocker Loaded Mashed Potatoes, made according to directions on package
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
crushed tortilla chips

Brown ground beef with onion. Drain off grease and rinse with hot water. Return the meat to pan and stir in salsa and corn. Cook until heated through. Then spread mashed potatoes over the top. Sprinkle with cheese and cover until cheese melts. Before serving, sprinkle with tortilla chips.

Three of the five of us really liked it, the other two thought it was okay...but not at the top of their list! If I had to change anything, it would be to use plain mashed potatoes rather than the "loaded" but it was still pretty good!

No comments:

Post a Comment